Monday, September 5, 2011

ANNIE OAKLEY RIDE

Well over the weekend of doing nothing Jeff & I decided to call up a few friends yesterday to go for a ride today.  We didn't know where to go so we asked for suggestions, we just wanted to get out of the house today for a ride, and we all agreed that the final destination was the grave site of the Famous Annie Oakley in Brock, OH.  I thought this was a neat idea and really seemed to be a great ride.

We decided to meet up this morning at 10am at the Gas America off State Road 9 and I70.  Jeff and I left our house at 9am and it was 59 degrees this morning when we left. Our gang today included:  Jeff, myself, John & Shiz, Steve & Marci, Jack & Daisy, Bob & Cindy, and Jeff & GiGi.  Jeff and I were the first to arrive, then Jeff & GeeGee and then shortly after the rest of the gang, to pull up the rear the last but not least Bob & Cindy arrived.  After a much needed HOT drink and short bathroom break, we all mounted up to head out.  We headed south on State Road 9 then went east on US40, it was a very cold ride, I am glad I layered up with long johns, my husbands long tube socks, my heavier jeans, turtle neck, & sweatshirt.  The final layer was my HD Leather jacket, gloves and my full helmet with full face-shield.  I thought it was going to warm up today but Nicole on Channel 13 was all wrong.  The clouds filled the sky and  as I sit on the back of the bike thinking to myself, I have never ridden in weather below 70 degrees.  I get cold easy and anything below this to me is to cold.  But I did better than I thought, you know earlier in the summer when the temps were high I didn't have to use the potty breaks as much as I did today.  

 
 
We arrived at the Warm Glow Candle Company Inc. in Centerville, IN.  As you all know no ride could ever be complete without a great lunch or supper.  I was getting hungry because I didn't eat before we left because sometimes eating first thing in the morning before a ride doesn't always settle well with my stomach.    This would be the place that we decided to eat at.  This was a neat place to visit and they did have some awesome homemade food.  Best Sub I have ever had in my life, no comparison to Sub-way or Quiznos, it blew them out of the water!    After eating my lunch I walked around this huge place looking at all the neat items this place had to offer.  I then went outside and viewed the surroundings and they had a Model T Museum but it is closed on Monday's!  However, I was able to take some photo's of a Model T they had sitting on the front porch of the Museum.  This place had beautiful flower gardens surrounding the main building and there was cool Koi Pond with some pretty big Koi's and a cool little water fall as seen in the pictures below.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

After we all had our bellies full and warmed up a bit, it was time to hit the road to find the grave site of Annie Oakley.  I decided to take a few pictures before we left as you all know I am a camera nut, the roads we took to get to the cemetery weren't curvy but they had some Awesome roller coaster affect.  One hill was so intense it tickled by belly!  LOL....it isn't always about curves and switchbacks, sometimes a change in road type can be quite as delightful!  Man was it cold, I don't think it got warmer in fact it felt like it got colder.  Here are some pictures of our ride after lunch:
 
 
 
 
 

As you can see this road was quite full of belly ticklers!  Before we got to far we needed to find a gas station for everyone to fuel up.  While at the gas station, Shiz and Marci decided they would pick some wild flowers for the grave site. Below are some pictures of us enjoying a much needed break!
 
 
 
 

We finally arrived at the grave site of "Annie Oakley" which is at Brock Cemetery.  This was an interesting Cemetery, when I visit grave sites it never ceases to amaze me of some of the age of the tombstones.  I think it is very neat to look around to see some of the really old headstones with old dates, even though I don't know any of them I am always curious about dates and names and where these people come from.  Today we saw not only Annie Oakley, her husbands headstones, we were also able to see those men who died in WWI, WWII, etc.  I did take pictures just to be able to show in my blog.  It makes you stop and think about all the lives that were lost in prior wars and that then brave men died for our country and with this being so close to the 9-11 project, I took a moment of silent prayer to thank God for allowing us our freedom that we have today.  I think some people in America just don't stop and think about how good we have it here in America until to see the grave sites, it really brings everything home.





 
 
 
 

This was another educational day for me to reflect, remember and appreciate the life I have.  I am thankful for all the people who have been in and out of my life and what life has taught me and I have so much more to learn.  One doesn't ever stop learning no matter what their age.  We headed back towards home on US36 and shortly before arriving in Pendleton, IN the sun appeared and the warmth of the sun kissed my face!  It was beautiful and the clouds surrounded the sun but it was still shinning through the clouds down upon us and we were thankful because we could actually warm up a little bit!  We said our goodbyes at the next gas station and everyone parted ways.  It was great putting some new names to some familiar faces from the HOG Chapter Group.  Thanks everyone for a every enjoyable day!

No comments:

Post a Comment