Saturday, August 27, 2011

PAWS & CLAWS RIDE - 8-27-11


 
 

This was a fun ride to do this summer.  I am an avid animal lover and partial to our four legged fur-kids.  This was a great fundraiser for the Humane Society of Boone County to help raise funds for a new shelter.  Boone County doesn't have a shelter and this was our way of helping to raise funds towards a new building for all the fur-kids that don't have homes.  Humane Society of Boone County solely relies on volunteers, donations, foster homes and the kindness of others willing to put time and effort into saving the dogs & cats of this county.  All the sponsors paid for everything on this fundraiser that included Awesome Goody Bags, T-Shirts, Food and much more!

I have a great respect for these State wide shelters.  I have always gotten my animals from a Humane Society because I know that without homes many of them would be put to sleep or die from lack care.  This ride touched my heart in so many ways and it was just days after the one year anniversary that my beloved Missy girl who passed away on 8-21-10.  She was 16 1/2 yrs old and I got her from a local county Humane Society.  I could not have done this ride last year as it would have been to painful after loosing my precious Missy girl.

Missy Ann - RIP 8-21-10
We arrived at the HD of Indianapolis to get in line for the wonderful day ahead.  There were actually two rides scheduled for that day and we had already donated to the other cause.  As the crowd arrived i took some pictures of course and once we were almost ready to go the a selected few from the Humane Society of Boone County Volunteers spoke about their cause and what the HSBC was wall about.  A short prayer was said and a blessing of the bikes completed.  We mounted up on our motorcycles and started out for the days journey.

 
 
Susan Austin - Director of Fundraising
The Blessing

The ride was off and we were rolling, we went 96th street west to US31 and headed north, we wound around some nice scenic routes with some nice roads and beautiful skies.  When we stopped at traffic lights I would turn around and take a look at all the motorcycles behind us and I can't explain the rush of excitement I get every time I see bikes lined up for a ride or great cause.  It gives you a great feeling and since of pride to be an American Biker even if you are just a passenger. 
 
 
 

As you can see from the pictures above it is neat to be able to capture the joy that I feel when riding.  As we rode along the route I kept thinking to myself how wonderful it was that so many bikers came together for our four legged Fur-Kids.  Without fundraisers like this the animals in need would not be able to receive the love and care that they so deserve.  Our first stop was at Spykes Harley Davidson Dealership in Frankfort where they provided a much needed lunch of hot dogs, chips and soft drinks.  Below are a few pictures of this stop for food and rest before we headed back out.
 
 
 
 
 
After getting a much needed rest and bellies bull, we all mounted up and headed out for our final destination for a dinner and a silent auction and door prizes at the LA Cafe located in Whitestown.  This place opened their business for this fundraiser and provided all the food and drinks to us riders.  We all had a great time socializing with one another.

 
 

I love riding for charities of all kinds, but this one was close to my heart as I am an avid animal lover, but I am partial to dogs.  I remember growing up my dad found a collie puppy and we took him in and named him "Butch", he instantly became a member of our family.  So many of us have dogs and cats and they are a big part of our lives.  They are like our children, they greet you in the morning, greet you when you come home with so much enthusiasm and love that it is over whelming.  They make you laugh, cry and tug at your heart strings every time you look at them.  They depend solely upon you to take care of them and your are their VOICE.  The loves us unconditionally as we do them.  I don't know what my world would be without them.  They can make a horrible end up to be the most beloved day.  

So the next time you decide on getting a dog or a cat, please find it in your hearts to contact your local Humane Society for your selection for the new member of your family, think Adoption first!

Here are some of the Paws & Claws Volunteers:











No comments:

Post a Comment