Saturday, October 1, 2011

CHAPTER RIDE - COVERED BRIDGE EAST INDIANA

Well, I had planned to have an awesome day today even if it was cold, but that would turn out not to be the case for today.

I got up this morning and proceeded to get ready to ride into HD Northside for our Monthly Chapter HOG meeting.  I got all bundled up because the temps this morning was below 45 degrees.  OMG was it cold riding in, you know how you get brain freeze when eating ice cream to fast? Well this morning I didn't have to eat any ice cream to get the brain freeze, Mother Nature did it for me.  I can now say without a doubt that I have ridden in COLD weather!  We arrived at the dealership and yes again we were the first one's there, I had to stop and think if the meeting was actually set for today or not.  My husband assured me it was, and soon enough HOG members started rolling into the parking lot in their VEHICLES and then some on bikes.

I guess some just don't like riding in the cold, LOL.  It was an experience and one I might do again but not sure yet, time will tell.  After the meeting it was time to mount up and get ready to leave for today's scheduled ride.  I am not sure how many bikes or people but it was a bunch as you can see from the pictures below:





We headed out and eventually made it to the first break stop just outside of Greenfield, IN.  Quick break, fuel and a little socializing and of course picture taking.  It is nice to chat with all of our friends to see how their week went and just have some fun!

Smitty is telling me to quit taking pictures!  LOL  NOT GOING to happen!
 




 




After a quick break it was time to hit the road again, I thoroughly enjoy riding and looking around at all the scenery, this time of year the leaves are starting to change and the further south you go the prettier it gets.  There were some really beautiful colors, you also have to watch out for extra surprises while on the road during this time of year such as sticks, leaves, acorns, and other items that may fall from the trees.  Safety is your first option as a rider, but being a passenger does have it's benefits because you can enjoy so much more and see more while sitting back and relaxing while the rider does all the work.

We had some beautiful scenery and I did take some pictures that are shown at the bottom.  The leader of the group today was Ted and I must say he did an excellent job leading us down some truly awesome country back roads, we were in the country and to the right of me in a huge soy bean field was three Deer running to the south, what a breath taking site to see.  I love watching deer graze and run, they are so carefree and graceful, I was able to get the camera up quick enough, those buggers are quick.  While making our way through the country side we came upon our first Covered Bridge and it was beautiful.  This bridge was build in 1884 by the Kennedy Brothers.






I was starting to get hungry and we all know that this HOG group always stops for lunch.  We made it to our lunch destination in a little town, I believe this was in Rush County (but not 100%sure) and the name of the restaurant was "Park Restaurant".  Upon arrival I started feeling bad, I took some medicine while waiting for our food.  I ordered a cup of coffee, eggs, chicken fried steak, and hash browns.  The staff was great and the girls worked their butts off for us.  Great food, great friends, and great times.  My husband looked at me and knew I wasn't feeling up to par, but I wanted to continue the ride, however, by the time we were all done eating and socializing I was getting worse and I knew we needed to head home, there was a rider who had some trouble getting his Sportster started and Jeff, Greg, and LJ tried push starting the motorcycle and it wouldn't start, another member went over to the group and showed the guys to push the start button, UPDATED GIVEN to me by Sid:   I received an email today by Sid and he stated this "The bike would not start again after the second stop at the Moscow covered bridge.  It was diagnosed as a dead battery and had to be push started after playing with both the ignition and kill switches." Thank you Sid this bit of information is very helpful.  We said our goodbyes much to my dismay and waived goodbye to everyone as they pulled out.  One new member, Bob, stayed with us and followed us out as he was also needing to get home by a certain time due to another appointment.  Bob just joined our group today and he is a Helicopter Pilot, very nice guy.  As we pulled out and headed to State Road 3 I leaned up and told my husband Jeff that he needed to find a gas station as soon as one came into site.  I was feeling really bad by this time, we turned left onto US40 and came to the first gas station and pulled in, we stayed at this gas station for an hour until I was well enough to get back onto the Bike to make the journey home.  I wished we had been able to finish the ride but there is always next year!  Hope everyone enjoys the pictures and this blog entry!  Please feel free to post a comment if you wish.








No comments:

Post a Comment